Friday, February 13, 2009

Old people on the Road

Picture this, you're driving to school. You are a decently smart student and allow a certain amount of time to get dressed, eat, and drive to school. Your morning is going pretty smooth, until..the road. You are doing the speed limit and you suddenly notice yourself catching the car in front of you very fast. You glance down to see your speed limit and notice you are safe, only 2-5 mph over the limit, and now you are suddenly right on the tail of the car in front of you. You look into the car and what do you see? Grandma biting the steering wheel and doing about 5 mph under the speed limit. The towns new plan to help increase revenue is to lower speed limits and reduce passing zones to increase the number of tickets that are given each year. So what can you do? Well passing them anyway is an option if the other lane isn't taken by on coming traffic, or perhaps shit can them on the right while yelling wildly, Aloha! Not that I condone this type of action, being that is strictly frowned upon by so called officers of the law, or commonly referred to as the fuzz. So what can we do about this epidemic. Well revoking their licenses is an option, or possibly limit their hours of driving to anytime country kitchen is closes. There seems to be only one option. Make them retest to prove that their skills are up to par on the road. This might solve the issue. Most likely not.
-ICDEly

6 comments:

  1. Dude, did you read my paper from Chemistry when I was home? Hmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! Old drivers can be so frustrating. They should definitely be required to at least retake their test after a certain age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One time I was at the DMV and some old lady took twenty minutes to get into the place and as i was walking out, I heard them tell her she passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, old people and driving don't mix. I've seen some speed behind people then not stop until the last minute causing them to almost rear end the other car. They should have to retake the test and be scored like a new driver would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah? Gimme my cane back and we'll see who's King Of The Road, ya whippersnapper! I've been driving for 67 years now and, by God, I may not know where I'm going at any particular moment any more but I know how to drive.

    I first started driving on my Daddy's farm when I was four years old. I had to sit on two milk crates, the family Bible and a pillow and had to use a frog gigger on the pedals. The way I learned to drive was by taking my Daddy's Rocket 88 out to the sty, cutting a root hog out the herd and chasing him around till I got our dinner for that night. Now there's a skill builder.

    Fact is, us codgers drive like we do to piss you young folks off. Next time you feel some road rage coming on, though, you might want to keep in mind the fact that the elderly have the highest percentage of concealed carry permits in the state. And, considering the economy, very few of us have anything left to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bit confused about your position, Chris. It's clear that you think older drivers shouldn't drive, but there are plenty of reasons why they think that they should. How old is too old? Should there be a particular age cut off? You suggest retesting, but then say that probably won't solve the problem. What do you think will solve the problem (keeping in mind that your parents, and then you will be the next generations entering this zone).

    ReplyDelete